Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Interview - Vijay Abt Velayudham

As ‘Velayudham’ is gearing up for a Diwali release and the team is running from pillar to post as part of the promotional activities, IG caught up with Ilayathalapathy Vijay for an interview. Read on as Vijay gets candid and speaks on his role in Velayudham, clarifies reports on the much talked about Dookudu remake, his project with AL Vijay, his plans this Diwali and a lot more!Excerpts from the chat with the ace personality…


Velayudham is special to you?

Yes, it is very special and  I accepted the film, as I liked the story very much and working with director Raja was a pleasure. My last release Kaavalan was a pure love story and now Velayudham has shaped out well as a sensible mass commercial film.



Why do you say sensible commercial film?

As reported by a section of the media, I don’t play a superhero nor do I possess any super power. I play an ordinary man who has a reason to take the cudgels and fight the system. Director Raja has made the transformation of my character with realism and that according to me is the highlight. I shared excellent rapport with Raja and all credit goes to him.



Why don’t you promote your films aggressively?

I hate to speak or praise my film before the release. I want my fans and audiences to go to the theatre without much expectation and get entertained. I hate to blow my own trumpet saying that my film will satisfy you and blah blah.. I have been getting a lot of positive feedback of the trailer and audio. Now after release, I’m sure that the visual impact of songs will satisfy the audiences.



Tell us about the two heroines?

Hansika and Genelia were excellent co-stars. Hansika has terrific comedy timing and realising that, Raja utilised it to the maximum. Genelia has a very important role of a journalist who motivates and brings about a transformation in me.



Your next films are all with top directors like Shankar, Gautham Menon and Murugadoss. Was that a conscious decision?

(Smiles) If I tell you the truth, I have been contacted by the so-called big directors only now. I didn’t plan anything. It just happened. Remember that I am an actor I do roles that are given to me. My job is to give the people a ticket to their very personal Disney Land for three hours.



You are working with Santhanam for the first time...

Yes, Santhanam has this unique quality of bringing a smile on everybody’s face when he appears on screen. He need not even open his mouth to crack jokes and no wonder women and children love him. We had a great chemistry on the sets.






How did this film with Jayam Raja happen?
and again. But this is your first part superhero project, what’s special
about it? What about the horse riding scenes?

I have watched all his films and I was supposed to work with him two years back itself under Sanguli Murugan sir’s banner. We missed out on it and he started off a project with his brother, Jayam Ravi. Then we met one day and he came with a one-liner on Velayudham which interested me so we started off with this project immediately. I asked him jokingly whether he will do movies only with his brother and not me and that’s how all this started off.
Yes but this is not a superhero film with extra powers for the hero
or something on those lines. 'Velayudham' portrays the hero somewhere between a common man and a superhero. Speaking
on horse riding, actually I learnt horse riding quite a while ago,
even before stepping into films. All the training is being of use to
me now (smiles).
Most of your films highlight upon brother – sister bonding, but can we
say your bond with Saranya forms the crux of this plot as she has reported
in an interview?
No it definitely is not the crux of the film but can be called as one
of the highlights in 'Velayudham'. No matter what, be it now or
after many years, this is one relationship among our folk that
will never change! It’s an evergreen something.
Speaking on stunts, are there other highlights apart from the train
stunt sequence?
Tom Delmar did the train sequence and yes, much has been
spoken about it to audiences already. Apart from this there’s a
 fight scene in a harbor which will definitely be a big highlight
in 'Velayudham', I can assure it will be something very interesting
to look forward to and something my fans will enjoy watching
on-screen.
How true is it that there are 30 comedians?
Well, I can say that under Santhanam’s captainship there will
29 comedians. There’s a whole team of comedians itself that he
 heads so we have meant it in that way.
All your forthcoming films are with top-notch directors, Murugadoss, Gautham Menon and Shankar. We understand we'll be seeing a suave
avatar of Vijay, but why haven't we seen this earlier?
To tell the truth, honestly, I have been approached by all these directors only now and I loved the scripts so I accepted them. It is not like I wanted to do these kind of films only now but these projects are coming my way only now and I am happy to accept them.
Are you doing Dookudu remake?
I watched the film, I really liked and enjoyed watching it but I am not doing the film’s Tamil remake.
Udhaynidhi has expressed he’ll watch 'Velayudham' first show. When
will you watch '7aum Arivu'?
I will definitely watch it on Diwali, no doubts about that but I don’t know which show. I will watch '7aum Arivu', my film 'Velayudham' and 'Ra.One' on Diwali. How many ever films will release that day I will watch them all the very same day, no doubts. That’s how crazy I am about films (smiles).
No doubts we see a balance between Hansika & Genelia in trailers, but
can you tell what will be the highlight?
The director has beautifully balanced between Hansika and Genelia’s character. There’s no way anyone can compare their characters since they are so different from one another. My scenes with both of them are like two different episodes to frame it rightly. However I must say that Genelia’s character plays a key role in my character seeing a change in the film, from that of a commoner to that of a superhero.
About your film with AL Vijay…
Yes we both are talking about it but it will take time, probably even two more years to go on floors! But there’s a lot of time for an official announcement on this front.
A recent Tamil film that Vijay enjoyed thoroughly…
'Kanchana'! My kids enjoyed this horror film so very much that when I’m home they’ll be enacting the scenes from the film to me!

                                            THANKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment